Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Uzbeki-beki-stan

Trekking in Uzbekistan

What and where is Uzbekistan???

Until Herman Cain injected himself in the US Presidential politics, Uzbekistan remained far outside global mainstream media. It is not much closer...many people have never heard the name, most have a vague idea it is ...you know...over THERE...Asia?? Russia??

So, why am I headed there? First off, this will likely be the last of the multi-month, backpacking, hostel dorm trips. They take too much out of me. Sharing rooms with 6-10 mid-twenty year-olds takes a fair bit of energy. I have a simple answer if anyone asks me if I want to do something (dinner, bar, hike etc)...Yes. That attitude opens a lot of doors, some of them quite silly and fun.

I am looking forward to the next phase of travelling. You know those 1-2 week trekking tours, say along the West Coast of Wales, where you stay in a different B&B or Inn each night with an intoxicating variety of beers to choose from.

Why Uzbekistan? I am turning 60 to on the road, and hope to do so in Mongolia in April. I want to go where people still live in yurts. I would like to be out on the steppes, nothing much around for many kilometers. I've always wanted to go there, but after the gorgeous tundra hiking up in Nunavut...I decided I need more of that kind of hiking. Add in the Uzbeki mountains, and I am sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment