Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Tenerife, Canary Islands

Love hiking up for a view...El Tiede in the background

TENERIFE

On the road again! First few days I was in shock as well as sleep deprived. I really enjoy living out of a 40 liter bag and not knowing where I am headed most of the time. That being said, I can notice me slowing down and the days of wide open, multi month backpacking are drawing to a close. I find myself making less meals, staying in places 4-5 days instead of 3-4, drinking more sit-around beer.

Tenerife is a gorgeous island with great weather and many pretty little towns. The Spanish lifestyle is a relaxed one, if you ignore the frenetic driving. I still cannot adjust to eating after 9PM. I tend to have a big meal earlier in the day and just let whatever happens for supper...sometimes a big tapas run with fellow hostel mates, sometimes, just a sandwich. Definitley not going hungry.

Getting in lots of sports, walking, running, hiking and some swimming..not to mention tons of up and down hills to get anywhere.

Yesterday, I did a 13 km run from Orotava to Caldera, continuous uphill for 1:47. A ravine hike in Masca the other days as well as a trip up the big mountain that dominates Tenerife...El Tiede. Have done some running from town to town and mucho walking from town to town. Bus system is a tad crazy, but once you figure it out, you can get anywhere you want...Spanish time..of course. If you are in a hurry, you will not get there any faster.

I am enjoying myself, meeting some cool backpackers and a few locals. The weather is almost shorts and tshirt most of the time. South island is windy and warm, North is much hillier, and a tad cooler. I can see why people come here and then stay much longer than they had planned.

My coastline for the next few days. Hostel is a few kms backs

The combnination of Spanish architecture, small towns and hills makes me very happy

REPENT! NOW!!

Too much snow to hike the trails on El Tiede...so we make a snowman

My first view of Masca. From here, the hike is thru a 7km gorge to the ocean, then a little boat ride, with dolphins!

The end of the ravine hike. I can taste that first beer

The boat I am on is not so fancy, just a water taxi

Guinness, boccadillo and my new best friend...the Kindle...reading Cockroach from Canada Reads contest.

Carnival! in Orotava

No comments:

Post a Comment